My name is Alphonsine Anderson. “Alphonsine” is of German origin (but mostly used in French speaking countries) that means “a noble warrior“. Anderson is my married name.
– I was born and raised in Rwanda, Central-East Africa. I moved to United States in 2006.
– I graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Electronics Engineering from the National University of Rwanda, Kigali, Rwanda and a Master’s Degree in Telecom Engineering from Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), Rochester, New York.
– I am a Christian by faith & choice! I love God, the Creator of the universe, the Author of all eternity, with all my heart! Jesus is my Savior, and of the world.
– I work for Cisco Systems as an engineer and I enjoy educating and working with our customers in the Wireless Engineering field.
– I enjoy traveling, a good chat with friends, watching movies, mostly romantic comedies. Horror movies really scare me.
– I like to read books, mostly true stories (biographies, memoirs etc.). My current favorite books are: “Kisses From Katie” by Katie Davis or Katie’s Ministry and The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. Those two women are amazing and definitely an inspiration to many.
– I deeply love my three siblings, I call them my children. It’s not by luck, I watched them growing since after we lost our parents to the 1994 Rwandan genocide. My brother Eric is the most handsome, talented, brilliant, trustworthy, best friend anyone can wish for. He is younger but smarter than I am. My two sisters Alice and Noella are a combination of beauty and awesomeness. It always amazes me how Alice is very gifted and acts more mature than all women her age I know. She gets along with everyone, she’s very wise in many ways. I can always rely on her wisdom and compassion.
Noella is the baby of the family, and she has all my attention and love in every way, especially that I always strive to be a mother she never had. Although I cannot replace our parents, but I can do my best to be there for her. It brings tears to my eyes when she calls me Mom. Not only that she doesn’t have many memories of our perished loved ones, she doesn’t even remember their faces. She will always be a little girl in my eyes. She brings laughter and joy to the family by just being herself. She cracks up jokes often although she may make you think she is a shy person; may be to others not to her siblings. Those three are the reason I am alive today and I have no doubt. I absolutely adore them. I am one lucky mother and big sister alive.
– I started Rising Above the Storms (RAS), a non profit organization with a vision to bring hope, advocate for orphans and empower youth-at-risk through the gift of education. Our very first project, a learning center, was launched in Rwanda in January 2017. At the center, street children bathe, get clean clothes, meals, counseling sessions to get to know them, and they are helped to return to traditional public schools and their homes. We currently have about 18 kids in our program. For more info about our kids, please visit our website at: Sponsor a Child
Thank you for your time reading my bio. For more information about my work, please click here: Who We Are. Or you can follow RAS on twitter at RAS_NonProfit or Facebook at RAS. And for more about me, please visit this page that highlights where my personal story has been published: Publications